Thursday, October 17, 2013

What Is An American?

The Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines an American as so: (n.) a person born, raised, or living in the U.S. I personally do agree with this definition, however I think it is too general. In my view, an American is one who appreciates this country, our customs, and truly feels like this is where they belong. I believe that the meaning of being an American goes much deeper than just what the definition says. 

Yes, by definition, an American is one who is from the United States. However I think there are instances in which there will be an immigrant from a foreign country coming to the U.S. wanting to become an American. Unfortunately, there will always be some born-and-raised Americans who will not accept those who wish to become Americans. For example, my grandmother and grandfather were born and raised in Hong Kong, China, but they came to the U.S. a little over 50 years ago to raise their family and to live a better life here. My grandmother has limited English, however she is a legal U.S. citizen. She considers herself an American, however when other people view her, they see her as another immigrant from China. My grandmother does not bother with what others think, but it bothers me that when people think of American, they cannot accept foreigners as so. 

So in my opinion, an American is a person who was born and raised in America. Nevertheless, if an immigrant comes here and lives here—whether they are a U.S. citizen or not—and feel like they are at home, I agree that they are American.  


2 comments:

  1. I agree with your position on what qualifies someone as being an american. If they feel that they are then who can stop them. And i also think that your argument could support those people who don't really consider themselves american. Being an american means that you feel connected and consider it your home and where you belong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with this because in my case, even my parents tell me that I'm not an American that I am Mexican because I have Mexican blood in me. I don't view it that way, I actually think of myself as an American. Do you think this state of mins will ever change?

    ReplyDelete