Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Poe

American poet Edgar Allan Poe was not the typical poet. He was considered a part of the American Romantic Movement. I have not read much of a variety of poetry before, but his literature is nothing like what I have had experience reading. The best fiction writings of Poe are gothic and considered part of the dark romanticism genre.
Poe used a lot of symbolism in his work, for example in his poem The Raven, the Raven represents Lenore.
I researched what may have influenced the darkness of Poe's writing style and I read a short biography on him. From what I have read, Edgar Allan Poe has gone through much turmoil, such as the death of his mother, desertion of his father, and death of his wife/cousin. All of these losses may have put Poe in a dark, upsetting spot in life.
As of my opinion of the poetry and writings of Edgar Allan Poe, I think they are very interesting. Like I have stated before, I cannot say that I have read poetry like his before. He writes in such a deep, dark mood that captures my attention for some reason. Overall, I believe Edgar Allan Poe was a great writer with a dark past.

No comments:

Post a Comment